Some Facts behind the Tracks

Heavy Metal, Glam Rock, Melodic Hard Rock, New Wave, R&B, Dance Music, etc.
Captain Zap
Warlord
Warlord

Re: Some Facts behind the Tracks

Post by Captain Zap »

Interesting. I agree about love too. :thumb:
whistledog
Squire
Squire

Post by whistledog »

The lyric "I Want My MTV" which Sting sings in the 1986 Dire Straits hit 'Money For Nothing', was a loose re-write of his 1980 Police hit 'Don't Stand So Close to Me'. Because of this, Sting is credited as co-writer and received 50% of the song's royalties
wavemeister
Knight
Knight

Post by wavemeister »

A number of UK-based artists had released some of their tracks in German language, among them Visage ("Der Amboß" - "The Anvil") and Ultravox ("Herr X" - Mr. X"). None of the tracks managed to become more than remaining obscurities, only Peter Gabriels "Ein deutsches Album" (3rd, album; originally released as "Peter Gabriel", inofficially dubbed "Melt") had some moderate success with charting at #59 in the German Album Charts. His second album with German lyrics, also titled "Ein deutsches Album" (released in the US as "Security"; 4th album) failed to enter the charts. At least for German listeners, the songs have some certain funny qualities.

But adapting songs written in English for the German market did also bear the risk of fail - before Sandra becoming famous worldwide with "Maria Magdalena (I'll Never Be)", she tanked big time with the German version of Alphavilles "Big In Japan" ("Japan ist weit") which didn't made it into the German Single Charts. Good thing for her that almost nobody remembered - and she stuck to the English language after this.

Her former husband, Michael Cretu, had a litte bit more success with his German tracks - at least the 1983 single "Total normal" was a club hit, while the 1985 single "Samurai" became an international hit. But only the English version, and both language versions of the respective longplayers didn't left many traces in the charts.