New laptop

The kingdom's hot spot for all technology discussion and help. Need to know how to post an image? Want a link to a good banner maker? Have an HTML question? Don't know how to post music? Having trouble with your computer? Find the answers here!
Nakor
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

New laptop

Post by Nakor »

It's nothing major, just a lower end one that won't be stuck in my living room. Dual 2.2GHz CPUs, 2.5GB RAM, the graphics card isn't worth noting lol. I mainly got it for running writing and language programs off of. It cost $429 from FutureShop (it was an HP laptop). Came with Vista Basic, which I ran just long enough to jot down the product key for, and then nuked in favour of Ubuntu 8.04. The nice thing about doing that is it also takes out all the crap OEM software HP loads on their systems. (I left the HP_RECOVERY partition on the off chance I ever wanted to put Vista back on, or dual boot, but I don't see that happening any time soon.)

It has wireless, but I'm not sure I'll bother actually getting a wireless router for it, at least not at the moment. Since the majority of what I would do with it really doesn't require Internet access, I can just wire it in once every couple weeks to check for OS updates and such.
coffeehound
Duke
Duke

Re: New laptop

Post by coffeehound »

Good deal.... :nod:

A good battery and yer set. I wire into my router for updates too, but I do like the wireless for
surfing over a donut at the local coffee shop once in awhile... :lol:
Diabolique
Da Queen
Da Queen

Post by Diabolique »

How could I miss this post???!

Congratulations, Sir Nakor!!!!! Woohooooo!!!!! :banger:
Nakor
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Post by Nakor »

A co-worker had a wireless-g router he gave me—lower end one he no longer needed—so once I've got a spare ethernet cable (planning to pick up in the next day or two) so I can wire my desktop to it, I'll see if I can set that up. Then I don't have to pull out my tower, and pull the ethernet cable from there every time I want to install something or run updates on the laptop.
chooch
Lord
Lord

Post by chooch »

Congrats Sir Nakor!

Little sister of 80's fanatic! :D
PARTNER IN CRIME WITH 80SFANATIC AGAINST KEVIN!
WHOOPTY FREAKIN DOO!
SISTER OF THE BALDANATOR!
DON'T MAKE ME SHOVE MY CROWBAR UP YOUR ASS!

Image Image Image
soloist
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight
Location: no single region (specified or otherwise) permanently captivates this apparition...

Post by soloist »

That's great, Nakor! I heard of how
easy it is to customize Ubuntu
to your liking and makes P-
C's seem like Mac's in a
way. I wanted to try
it out but never
acted on thi-
s idea. I v-
ery well
may t-
hou-
gh
!

:nod:

Look at these Desktop effects (Ubuntu 8.04)...

:banger:
ImageImageImage

Soloist can only be experienced - for one's perception determines which of his attributes are displayed...
TStodden
Knight
Knight

Post by TStodden »

First of all, for the Ubuntu desktop stuff... MEE WANTEE!!! If I could it in Windows XP... I'd probably jump on it as I've already adopted RocketDock ( http://www.rocketdock.com ) for my computer (which mimics MAC OS X's dock).

If it wasn't so difficult to install "Outside Programs" in Linux (like XWolfMAME), I would make the full jump to it.
~TStodden (Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Nakor
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Post by Nakor »

Maybe andLinux which integrates a fully functional Ubuntu into your existing Windows install, would be handy? There's also a Portable Ubuntu version, which I know little of.

Installing Windows software isn't generally hard in linux. Just run the installer through Wine. It automatically installs it into Wine's emulated "Drive C" (default path ~/.wine/drive_c). (Wine also maps / to Z: so software running in Wine can access files like documents saved outside the emulated Windows drive, if the user has permissions to access that file.)