Ready for Windows 7? [already here]

The kingdom's hot spot for all technology discussion and help. Need to know how to post an image? Want a link to a good banner maker? Have an HTML question? Don't know how to post music? Having trouble with your computer? Find the answers here!
Nakor
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Re: Ready for Windows 7?

Post by Nakor »

No, there is also Home Premium and Enterprise in the mix. Home Basic and and Enterprise will not be widely available at retail however. There is also a sixth, near featureless edition called Starter.

Starter will be available via OEM licencing only. It's likely this will be seen mainly in emerging markets and/or third-world countries.
Home Basic is being sent to emerging markets.
Enterprise is available via volume licencing only. So far as I can tell, it has the exact same features as Ultimate, just a different sales scheme.

Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate will be available via both retail and OEM licencing.
TStodden
Knight
Knight

Post by TStodden »

From what I heard, there's was going to be 7 versions of Windows 7...

Starting with "Starter Edition" for Netbooks (limit 3 open apps) on the low end to "Ultimate Edition" for the high end.

One difference is that Microsoft is including everything with the installer, but there's different "Registration Codes" to unlock each version. The main reason behind this is to make the upgrade process from one version to another as easy as entering a new registration code.
~TStodden (Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Nakor
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Post by Nakor »

Nope, it's 6. There were 7 versions of Vista, all the same as the Win7 versions except with an extra one called "Business" (similar to Vista Enterprise but with less features).
Frong
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Post by Frong »

KenseidenXL wrote:Wrongo, Frongo. Vista is dead. That's why prices have dropped like a rock; dealers are dumping stock before 7 takes over. Full-retail upgrades for Premium have dropped by $70 already.
Still, even if Vista is pretty much dead in the water by now, it's already been out long enough for Vista versions of a lot of stuff to be released. Besides, whether new programs are developed for Vista because Win7 isn't out yet or for Win7 directly, they should both work. That's really all I care about, that there won't be ridiculous compatibility issues like there were between XP and Vista.
Diabolique
Da Queen
Da Queen

Post by Diabolique »

Nope. I still love XP. ;)
TStodden
Knight
Knight

Post by TStodden »

I'm not certain of how Microsoft was going to distribute them, but I knew there was multiple versions & an upgrade system in place from what I've read.
~TStodden (Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Nakor
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Post by Nakor »

Some trivia: The main reason businesses need the XP mode in Win7 isn't because of programs that specifically need things XP could do that Win7 couldn't, but rather because they use shoddy or very old software that is bug-laden, and therefore very prone to breaking when changing operating systems. Most companies refuse to spend money on improving or replacing such software, because those in charge often don't have a solid enough understanding of the software to realize what alternatives or improvements may provide to the company monetarily. Exceptions to this are few and far between; software good enough to be kept tends to be good enough to be updated for new OS's anyway.
Frong
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Post by Frong »

So basically, they have to put the XP mode in there to account for people who are afraid of or unwilling to change. That's pretty sad, but I can certainly see it being true. :rolleyes:
coffeehound
Duke
Duke

Post by coffeehound »

We still have some managers with last century computers... Screams from reboot hell can occasionally be heard. :eek:

I ordered Win7 Home Premium upgrade from Amazon.

49.99 ain't bad, and I don't need XP mode or remote offered in Professional...
Frong
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Post by Frong »

That's kinda like what I remember the media saying about the computers in the White House and Congress. Obama and his campaign staff were all hi-tech with Blackberries and wifi and whatnot, and then they got to the White House and it was like stepping back into the stone age. :lol:
coffeehound
Duke
Duke

Post by coffeehound »

Yikes, imagine a day in the life of those IT people!

That file!! The classified one... Where is it?!?!? :twitch:
Diabolique
Da Queen
Da Queen

Post by Diabolique »

coffeehound wrote:Yikes, imagine a day in the life of those IT people!

That file!! The classified one... Where is it?!?!? :twitch:

:lolhard:
Frong
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Post by Frong »

coffeehound wrote:That file!! The classified one... Where is it?!?!? :twitch:
They could tell you, but they'd have to kill you. :p
Diofan
Duke
Duke

Post by Diofan »

After Vista I was Done with Windows for the most part. My laptop and my computer at work ore the only windows machines I use. the Desktop only has Ubuntu Linux on it and at home it gets the most use. Ubuntu is way more stable then ANY windows and I don't have to deal with all those security updates all the time.
You know the big wheel keeps on spinnin around
And Im goin with some hesitation
You know that I can surely see
That I dont want to get caught up in any of that
Funky $hit goin down in the city
Administrator ~ The 70's, Eighties Euphoria
Nakor
Commanding Knight
Commanding Knight

Post by Nakor »

Ah, I'd have to disagree on that point, Linux tends to get a lot of updates. That said, it's in part because nearly every program on Linux can be updated simultaneously through a single updater, meaning that on any given day if you have enough software installed, there's bound to be something that updated.

In Linux's favour on updates, it usually does not need to be rebooted after an update (only kernel updates require a reboot), and they tend to be small (the largest updates are, again, the ~30MB kernel ones that appear maybe once every month or two on average; most updates are under 1MB).

I don't personally consider regular updates a bad thing anyway.