Got the new video card

The kingdom's hot spot for all technology discussion and help. Need to know how to post an image? Want a link to a good banner maker? Have an HTML question? Don't know how to post music? Having trouble with your computer? Find the answers here!
Shawn
Warlord
Warlord

Got the new video card

Post by Shawn »

I went with an eGA GTX 275. It's not to far off from the GTX 285 SC and runs more like a GTX 280.I have friends who have these 2 cards and we have compared them.
I have noticed a huge temp drop with this card compared to the 9800 GTX+ I was using. I am satisfied with this card even though it cost me a little more then I wanted to spend,I almost went with an ATI but remember how bad their drivers are and I just don't feel like fighting with them.Heard ATI has some really nice cards but the past problems with drivers has a lot of people on edge about buying their products.I've thrown a lot at this card already and it hasn't even lagged or paused out in game play,even after 2 hours of dirt2.
Not sure why they put so much memory on these cards,1792mb is a lot of memory for 1 video card.1 gig would of been plenty.

My next upgrade will be hard drives. I am replacing all my 16mb cache drives with 32mb cache drives.I have 2 of the 32mb cache Western Digital Black series drives and the transfer speeds are much faster compared to the 16mb drives.They have 64mb cache drives out,2tb drives but I won't spend $300 for a HDD.I can but 3 1tb 32mb cache drives for that price and that is my plan.I currently have 2 640 32mb ones so that will be a nice addition,also going to get the rest of my fans and then I should be done with the computer after that.For now :)
You thought you'd get away, but Karma made its move
The bad things that you've done, will be coming back for you
It's really sad that we're at the end, but my heart won't let me feel
No sympathy or pain for the outcome you've ensued...Queensrÿche 2013
coffeehound
Duke
Duke

Re: Got the new video card

Post by coffeehound »

Congrats, Shawn!

I upgraded from a 7600 and was blown away! It handles Crysis no problem...

Worthy upgrade in my opinion... :nod:
Shawn
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Shawn »

Yeah it was worth it.I've been playing Dirt 2 and it is a lot better with the 275 then it was with then 9800 GTX+.

I am working on building my son a new computer since I got lazy at Christmas time and just bought him and my daughter a Dell.What a waste of money that was.The thing is junk and it's only a few months old.I am selling it to my mom,she can deal with it lol.
He is getting my GTX 275 and I am upgrading to the GTX 285 Classified. I was going to use the same board I have but been hearing people having problems with revision 1.6 so I am going with a different board similar to mine. I already bought the case,the mini HAF today.We have a computer shop that carries some decent things around here.He wants me to bring in my list of stuff I am getting but think I am going to wait because I might change things up a little bit and I don't want him to order something then me not want it.
So far I have him set up with a Q9550 and a GB board 750 GB Western Digital 32mb cache drive 4gb 1066 DDR2 750 watt Power Supply.
I haven't even looked at monitors yet,I'll probably get me a bigger one and give him mine.Gives me a chance to upgrade mine a little more.
My daughter wants a netbook laptop so that will be an easy thing to pick up. I got more back on my taxes this year then what I thought I would so I am going to go ahead and do things right this time.
Also if mine happens to go down,I have a back up lol
coffeehound
Duke
Duke

Post by coffeehound »

Wow, I hadn't heard of the classified before. A quick read on it indicates that it overclocks well. Also, it takes
3 six pin PCI-Express power connectors. I hadn't seen that before either. The Corsair 750 will handle that easily though.

I have a Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB with 32 MB cache. Very smooth HDD.
I think you and Wavemeister recommended such a drive when I was considering my build. I am glad I listened. :thumb:
Shawn
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Shawn »

coffeehound wrote:Wow, I hadn't heard of the classified before. A quick read on it indicates that it overclocks well. Also, it takes
3 six pin PCI-Express power connectors. I hadn't seen that before either. The Corsair 750 will handle that easily though.

I have a Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB with 32 MB cache. Very smooth HDD.
I think you and Wavemeister recommended such a drive when I was considering my build. I am glad I listened. :thumb:
Yeah they are nice drives and a 5 year warranty.I have 2 640's in mine and the transfer speed from drive to drive is about 90 mbps,much faster then the 16mb cache drives.
I see WD also make 64mb cache drives but they are only 5400 rpm so the transfer speed would be the same.The 32s are 7200 rpm.Not sure why they would make sucha nice drive and then make it 5400 rpm,kind of defeats the purpose.

The video card is awesome,the Classified and hopefully they have it in 3 weeks when I get my check and I can get it,if now I'll just frab him a GTX 260 SC and keep my 275 in mine,I'm pretty happy with it so far.