Something that rather upset me

Having a problem using the forums? Have any suggestions to improve this site? Please post your questions and suggestions here.
Shawn
Warlord
Warlord

Something that rather upset me

Post by Shawn »

I had this message all typed out,pictures resized to 1024x768,nearly 20-25 pictures and had them uploaded and hit submit only to get an error that said 800x600 was the max size for pictures.I think it would have been a good idea to have been warned about it before I wasted nearly 30 minutes resizing and uploading.
You thought you'd get away, but Karma made its move
The bad things that you've done, will be coming back for you
It's really sad that we're at the end, but my heart won't let me feel
No sympathy or pain for the outcome you've ensued...Queensrÿche 2013
Diofan
Duke
Duke

Re: Something that rather upset me

Post by Diofan »

Shawn wrote:I had this message all typed out,pictures resized to 1024x768,nearly 20-25 pictures and had them uploaded and hit submit only to get an error that said 800x600 was the max size for pictures.I think it would have been a good idea to have been warned about it before I wasted nearly 30 minutes resizing and uploading.
Isn't 1024x768 a tad big for a forum? I KNOW Chooch uses a low res setting on her monitor because her eyes are bad, and I would think others like Molly would too (She can correct me if I'm wrong on that), I use High Res settings, cause I don't like scrolling side to side and my eyesight is fine for it.

Even on High Res, 1024x768 would appear way to big in a forum as it would gobble up a lot of screen real estate.

Just my .02
You know the big wheel keeps on spinnin around
And Im goin with some hesitation
You know that I can surely see
That I dont want to get caught up in any of that
Funky $hit goin down in the city
Administrator ~ The 70's, Eighties Euphoria
Shawn
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Shawn »

With the way Widescreen are coming down in price and shipping with new computers,I say no it is not to big.Now 1440x900 is to big which is the resolution I run my monitor in.800x600 for me is way to small,I can barely make out any good detail.
Roemello
King Radiance
King Radiance

Post by Roemello »

I can understand the frustration and sorry ya waisted time, but Brian is right in that that is waaaaaaaaaay big for a forum post. I would've figured it to be standard practice when posting pictures that they be of reasonable size so they don't stretch everyone's screens out and weigh heavy on load time. An 800 width measures in just right for a max... doesn't stretch the post table out and make horizontal scrollbars (which are a MAJOR pet peeve) and keeps the pix to a decent load time :) Only way to show them full size if ya wanted to is to post the image at the smaller size embedded, then make the pix links to the larger sized pic.. so anyone that wants to see it at the enormous size can click it and wait out the load and no dealing with scrollbars :)

EDIT to add

Just some statistics so ya know... trust me when I tell ya, I know the web standards... I've been webmastering a long time and keep an eye on the trends. An example of those visiting my site the highest and lowest percentages...:

Top 3
1024x768 - 45.39%
800x600 - 30.69%
1280x1024 - 8.69%

Bottom 3
640x480 - 1.15%
1600x1280 - 0.63%
1440x900 - 0.06%

1024x768 is the top standard right now and probably will be for a good while longer.
Shawn
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Shawn »

Roemello wrote:I can understand the frustration and sorry ya waisted time, but Brian is right in that that is waaaaaaaaaay big for a forum post. I would've figured it to be standard practice when posting pictures that they be of reasonable size so they don't stretch everyone's screens out and weigh heavy on load time. An 800 width measures in just right for a max... doesn't stretch the post table out and make horizontal scrollbars (which are a MAJOR pet peeve) and keeps the pix to a decent load time :) Only way to show them full size if ya wanted to is to post the image at the smaller size embedded, then make the pix links to the larger sized pic.. so anyone that wants to see it at the enormous size can click it and wait out the load and no dealing with scrollbars :)

EDIT to add

Just some statistics so ya know... trust me when I tell ya, I know the web standards... I've been webmastering a long time and keep an eye on the trends. An example of those visiting my site the highest and lowest percentages...:

Top 3
1024x768 - 45.39%
800x600 - 30.69%
1280x1024 - 8.69%

Bottom 3
640x480 - 1.15%
1600x1280 - 0.63%
1440x900 - 0.06%

1024x768 is the top standard right now and probably will be for a good while longer.
I don't doubt the stats a bit,I have seen some back when 800x600 and 640x480 were the top 2.But what I was trying to point out is that 1024x768 will be to small for most soon with all the widescreen monitors being sold,which is usually a 19" but they come in sizes from 17" up to 24" or 26" now.
I usually post in 800x600 but was wanting to show more detail of the pics and 1024x768 allows me to do so.I also optimize my pics to a smaller size in fact,I did upload them agian in 800x600 and it was about 4mb bigger that way.I think it is nearly 10mb now compared to the 6mb that I had it at.Also could of been the program I used doing it,I used a different program to speed things up a bit because of the first post not taking.
I would say wthin the next 1.5-2 years,1024x768 will be to small though.
Roemello
King Radiance
King Radiance

Post by Roemello »

In a couple years, possibly... that I wouldn't doubt as even I've been eyeing a widescreen where my current flat is spacing out on occasion myself :lol: Although on the flipside, I use that extra wide big resolution when I'm on the laptop and I do know where you're coming from... it really is a whole other deal when viewing that higher res... some of the pix I've posted almost look like thumbnails :lol: I remember back when 640x480 was the #1... now I couldn't even comprehend how we dealt with that :laugh:

BUT when it comes to sharing online, you have to try and cater to your majority audience... which here falls in the ranges of those top 3 resolutions. So while it might look a bit off for you, it'll look just right for the people you want to share your pix with, so that's where it's also in your best interests to keep them "small" :)